Sunday, September 11, 2011

My 9/11 story


9/11 - i was on the plane, one hour away from NY...
The old Ben-Gurion airport was strangely agitated beyond the usual level, and increased security measures were taken that night... (the screening machines were put on every entry) , lots of security personnel than usual. They knew something is going on...

I was supposed to meet in NY with a colleague that lives in LA and close an IT equipment deal for the company i worked for. On Wed I tried to avoid the flight and close everything over the phone, it didn't worked out so despite my inner voice i had to order the ticket for Thursday.
Mean time i ordered a hotel room few blocks from WTC, shopped online $1500 worth of clothes and toys online for the kids which i never got.

That day was so strange... i felt something is so wrong, i felt it so bad and sad that i could barely talk and even TOLD EVERYONE around me about my feelings (which i never do) and i was scared to take that flight. I even called my religious friends and asked them if this day has any special meaning in the hebrew calendar.

I overcame my fear by preparing myself as i did tens of times before .. explaining myself that i am always nervous about flights that have no real life value (just business trip to lower IT costs which were significant back in those days) .

I was sleeping, the pilot woke all passengers up telling us what happened ... it was shocking, we landed in Canada. Cell phones were dead... nobody in IL knew what planes crushed, they only knew i "had a very bad feeling" and that now i do not answer the phone many hours after the supposed landing.
I was stuck there for 5 days while watching the stock markets crushing on Yahoo Finance and Commando's patrolling the airport.
I though this is WW3, and that US will hit that Nuke button while i am on the other side of the world.... i imagined myself isolated from my kids and family without even knowing that my mom is in LA. 


The events are still unbelivable for me, the building #7 collapse is the worse mystery and after 10 years we know even less.